Presented by Hope Payson LCSW, LADC & Kate Becker LCSW, RYT
April 20-21, 2018
Need some direction in treating Substance & Behavioral Addictions with EMDR?
Getting lost in a maze of Feeling States, DeTURs and stabilization barriers?
No worries! Hope and Kate have been down those roads & they created a step-by-step, phase-by-phase, treatment map to share with you.
Through the use of demonstration, case presentation, lecture and video clips, and practicum this workshop explores the use of EMDR in the treatment of chemical dependency and other compulsive behaviors—specifically, with clients who are not yet abstinent. This treatment-focused workshop teaches you how to stabilize clients and desensitize addiction memory networks without triggering increased substance use or relapse. LEAVE THIS FAST PACED, TWO DAY WORKSHOP WITH A NEW SENSE OF DIRECTION.
Participants will be able to:
- Identify the common resourcing needs of persons with histories of complex trauma and addiction.
- Identify at least 2 addiction specific stabilization options to use in Phase 2 of EMDR therapy.
- Describe the steps involved in addressing and desensitizing cravings, urges and triggers related to substance/behavioral addictions.
- Identify how to address the maladaptive “positive” feelings, body sensations or irrational cognitions linked to addictions.
- Identify treatment planning options, and common NC/PC’s.
- Apply EMDR therapy to address treatment barriers.
Learn Knowledge & Skills to Integrate into EMDR Therapy Phases of Treatment:
Phase 1: Learn history and case conceptualization concerns unique to clients with histories of addictions.
Phase 2: Increase your knowledge of stabilization techniques used with persons with additions. Grow more confidence about your ability to address the needs of non-abstinent clients.
Phases 3-8: Learn how to desensitize the urges, cravings, and feeling states that trigger self-defeating behaviors. Increase your ability to create solid target sequence plans that will help your clients create lives worth staying abstinent for.
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS
Hope Payson, LCSW, LADC is a licensed clinical social worker, alcohol and drug counselor and an EMDRIA Approved Consultant who specializes in the treatment of addiction and trauma. She has over 20 years of experience working in community mental health in the following capacities: director of a supportive housing program for domestic violence survivors, coordinator of an assertive community treatment team and originator of a homeless outreach program that included on-site assessment, treatment placement and long term follow up for clients with histories of addiction and trauma. She was the Clinical Director for EMDR HAP for seven years and remains an active HAP volunteer. She currently coordinates a group private practice in Winsted, CT. Hope provides EMDR consultations to clinicians working in private and community settings.
Kate Becker, LCSW, RYT is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified EMDR Therapist, and Registered Yoga Teacher. Kate’s focus is in the treatment of addiction, anxiety disorders and trauma. She has worked in community mental health and substance abuse clinics, group homes, and in palliative care. Kate has facilitated a variety of therapy groups including Relapse Prevention, Anger Management, Co-Occurring disorders, and DOVE (domestic violence offenders). Kate is the founder and director of A Room with a New View, Inc.; a non-profit that provides renovation and decorating to non-profit group homes and community centers. She is currently an EMDR Consultant-in-Training, and is in private practice in Glastonbury, CT.
PROGRAM TIMELINE AND CONTENT
8:30-10:00 a.m. = Introduction of presenters and brief survey of knowledge base of audience. Introduction to the use of EMDR therapy with addiction and the connection between trauma and addiction—citing research in this area. Discussion about using EMDR therapy to address active addiction versus waiting for abstinence.
10:00-10:30 a.m. = How to take a trauma/addiction sensitive client history and assess for stage of change and common risk factors. Lecture and video clips.
10:30-10:45 a.m. = Break
10:45-12:00 p.m. = History continued. Practicum—history taking and motivational interviewing questions.
12:00-1:00 p.m. = Lunch
1:00-1:30 p.m. = Review of phase 2 protocols and preparation phase and the use of A.J. Popky’s “Positive Treatment Goal”, addiction specific resources, and the use of future template to build access to healthier coping skills. Video, demonstration, and practicum.
1:30-2:30 p.m. = Practicum—Resource Enhancement and Positive Treatment goal
2:30-2:45 p.m. = Break
2:45-4:00 p.m. = Desensitizing triggers, urges and cravings. A.J. Popky’s DeTUR protocol and other protocols that address these components of addiction memory. Lecture and video clips.
4:00-4:30 p.m. = Review—questions and answers
8:30-9:30 a.m. = Practicum-desensitizing uges, cravings and triggers
10:30-10:45 a.m. = Introduction to how to identify “Maladaptive Positive Feeling States”, Miller’s Feeling State Protocol and Knipe’s Level of Positive Affect Protocol
10:30-10:45 a.m. = Break
10:45-12:00 p.m. = How to desensitize “Maladaptive Positive Feeling States”. Lecture and video clips.
12:00-1:00 p.m. = Lunch
1:00-2:00 p.m. = Practicum—Desensitizing “Maladaptive Positive Feeling States”.
2:15 2:30 p.m. = The use of the Standard EMDR Protocol to address common treatment barriers.
2:30-2:45 p.m. = Break
2:30-3:00 p.m. = Treatment “flow chart”—presentation about treatment planning considerations.
3:00-3:15 p.m. = Break
3:15-4:00 p.m. = Sculpture Group Demonstration—reviewing “treatment map” or choices when working with addictions.
4:00-4:30 p.m. = “Floating forward” to Monday—consultation/questions about using concepts presented in the training with clients in the future.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ATTENDANCE
- Attendees: This workshop is intended for Mental Health Professionals (Psychologists, Social Workers, Counselors) who have completed an EMDRIA-Approved Basic Training and have a valid professional license.
- Cancellation Policy: Full refund minus $50.00 fee if cancelled by 4/6/18, no refunds after.
- Grievance Procedure: Grievances should be written and will be replied to within 10 days.
- Facility: This workshop is held in a facility in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Please notify the hotel and the workshop sponsor, Wendy Freitag, if special accommodations are required.
- Current research is limited to the application of EMDR to trauma-related disorders.
13 EMDRIA Credits: Wendy J Freitag, Ph.D., Provider # 99020, is approved by the EMDRIA to offer EMDRIA Credits for this program, Approval #99020-12. Wendy Freitag, Ph.D. maintains responsibility for the program.
13 Continuing Education Credits offered by Ce-Classes.com and approved by:
- Ce-Classes.com is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) www.aswb.org Approved Continuing Education Program (ACE). Approval Period: 1/5/17 – 1/5/19. (Provider # 1142) Ce-Classes.com maintains responsibility for the program. Social Workers should contact their regulatory board to determine course approval.
- The Florida Board of Clinical Social Work, Marriage and Family Therapy and Mental Health Counseling Provider #852 BAP-Expires 3/31/2019
- California BBS: Ce-Classes.com is approved to provide continuing education by the following professional organizations: ASWB and APA. The California Board of Behavioral Sciences, BBS, recognizes relevant course work/training that has been approved by these nationally recognized certifying bodies to satisfy renewal requirements.
- The California Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (CAADAC) Provider Number OS-12-174-1116 Expires 11-2018
- The Texas Board of Social Work Examiners, Continuing Education Provider – 5674 expires 4/30/2019
- The Texas Board of Professional Counselors, Continuing Education Provider – 1622 expires 2/28/2019
- Massachusetts Authorization Number: (TBD)
- Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage and Family Therapist Board – Provider # RCST031201 Expires 5/31/2019
- The Florida Board of Nursing (CE Provider #: 50-4896) Expires 10/31/2018 Do not send certificates to the Florida Board of Nursing. You must keep this certificate for 4 years.The California Board of Registered Nursing. CEP 15647 Expires 11/30/201
- New York Social Work Board NYSED Provider #120
$350 on or before 4/6/18
$375 after 4/6/18
Discounts for 3 or more registrants who pay together, full-time non-profit agency employees, or if you have been a previous workshop attendee or had EMDR consultation with Wendy Freitag, Ph.D.
FACILITY & HOTEL ACCOMMODATIONS
- Call the hotel direct to book at 414-764-5300
- Ask for “Reservations”
- When speaking to a reservation agent, let him/her know you are booking with the “EMDR”
Guests can also book online using the following link:
- Select the check-in and check-out date.
- Leave the group code MDR in the box
- Click on ‘Book’. It will pull up the booking screen with the special group rates.